Tuesday, July 22, 2014

There and back again

Our three and a half weeks in Boston were really great.  We actually lived in Quincy, MA at Eastern Nazarene College for the summer in a dorm.  For our family, it was a perfect scenario.  We had our own dorm suite with two bedrooms, a small study area and our own bathroom.  We were right across the hall from another family with two kids and it felt just like old college days as the doors pretty much stayed open unless we were sleeping and the kids just flowed back and forth. 

There is much to tell and naturally lots of stories, but because I did a non-existent job of blogging while there, I'll spare you all of the details and just provide pictures to highlight our time.  Here is the danger of pictures on blogs, Facebook and Instagram... it is easy to make life look like it is all a bed of roses.

It is true that we had a great visit to a cool city.  We got to do stuff that many people might not get to do in a lifetime.  The weather was unusually perfect.  However, there were major bumps in the road as well.  I got homesick for routine, non-cafeteria food, my friends, my couch and watching Big Brother on a real tv.  I faced some major insecurities- I felt old, fat and out of shape.  I struggled relationally with people at times.  Some days I wished I could just be a "normal person" who stays at their own home in the summer. The struggle was real.

With that being said, here are all of my pictures that do NOT show any of that.  Ha! Quite honestly, who whips out a camera when they are doing the snot cry on their husband's shoulder at 42 years old because they miss their friends?  Not this girl. 

So, on that note...

 
We went sailing in Glouchester.


My kids were naturals.
 

 
We went downtown for 4th of July fireworks.  It was one of my dreams come true to hear the Boston Pops play live as the fireworks went off.  They were magical. Until...
 the Massachusetts State Police evacuated the city without explanation.  The explanation came when the heavens opened and a thunderstorm like none I've ever experienced, happened.  My kids were hysterically crying and Turner yelled over and over, "This is the worst day of my life."  Yep, magical.
Photo credit: me (I'm a little proud of that one.)

 
We rode the T.  A lot.
 
We spent our time with 11 amazing college athletes from around the country. 

 
We went to Harvard.
(We didn't actually GO to Harvard- we visited Harvard :)  It's pretty awesome.
 
 
We swam in the ocean.
(We didn't actually SWIM in the ocean.  It was a little cold.  More like waded in the ocean.)
 
 
We hung out in Dorchester, MA.
This was our entire *family* for the summer.  Seriously, some of the best college students I've ever been around. 


 
We saw about 25,000 Dunkin' Donuts.  (Seriously, it's like a Northeast obsession.)
 
Oh, and we caught a game at Fenway Park.

 
We saw some amazing sunsets.
 
(We lived 4 blocks from the beach. Hmm.. WHY was I homesick?  I could get used to that!)

 
We ate at Wahlburgers.  (The BEST hamburger I've ever eaten in my life btw.)
 
As in Donnie, Mark and Paul Wahlburg.  As in the show Wahlburgers.  SO FUN.

 
We saw battleships.

 
We watched a little Netflix.

 
We made new friends.  (This is O's new friend, Charlotte. Cuties, right?)
 
The kids did 2 weeks of YMCA summer day camp that met right on the campus where we lived and they had a great experience.  They are so adaptable and continue to amaze me.

 
We celebrated 7/11 days with free Slurpees.

 
And we shared our family with others. 
 
And we grew.
 
And we loved Jesus.
 
And Boston shaped our family forever.
 
So did the 13 hour van ride there and back, but that's for a different post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How awesome! Thanks for sharing!;)