Monday, July 21, 2014

Licensed to drive

Nearly a month ago, we packed up the van and headed (on my Birthday, no less) on our journey East.  First stop, Gramma and Papa's house.  Now that is an excellent way to start off a road trip!  Only 5  on the road and we were greeted by two people who not only celebrate my kids but had several birthday treats waiting for me.  (I may be 42 years old, but whose inner child doesn't long to be sung to and loved on with balloons and cake??)

Another birthday surprise awaited me.  It was a surprise filled with a little lesson.  Birthday lessons are not always fun.

Consider this my PSA for the day... check your driver's license. 

On our way to Boston for 31/2 weeks (which is out of state by the way) I realized that it, in fact, was my birthday.  Lo and behold I had a sinking feeling that it was the year to renew.  I fished it out and sure enough, at the stroke of midnight, I would no longer be a legal driver.  Which was really bad news for a summer in Boston (did I mention that is out of state?).  It was 12:00 noon and we were in the middle of Columbus, OH.   Our state capital, for Pete's sake.  Seems like a great place to locate a BMV.  It is... if you are traveling through on a weekday or on a Saturday BEFORE noon.  Naturally, it was Saturday at 12:10 when I realized what was going on. 

Thank the good Lord for smart phones.  Steve and I began to frantically search for a BMV along our route that might have extended hours.  I even tried calling the BMV service *hotline* to see if I could give them my sob story and figure out a solution.  We were to be in Boston by Monday at 3:00 which meant we couldn't just hang around the state for one to open.  Pretty much the *hotline* wished me luck with no driving for the next month. 

As I was waiting on hold with the hotline, Steve had some luck finding extended hours in a small Amish town in central Ohio.  It was basically a race against the clock.  The way we figured it, we could make it there with 10 minutes to spare.  IF we didn't get stuck behind farm equipment, Amish buggies or a train.  Pedal to the metal, son!

We made it... with the full 10 minutes left.  I got my license and a mini-heart attack.  I definitely aged about 10 years in 10 minutes - makes for an awesome picture, that's for sure.



Here is what I have to say about all of this... why WHY why can't the BMV send a friendly reminder letter that your four years is coming to an end and would you kindly get your behind into your local BMV soon before you are in a world of hurt?  If I was in charge, that's what I would do.  Perhaps they could use the lady on the not so helpful hotline and pay her to send out those letters.  Because seriously, I NEVER look at my license and how in the WORLD will I remember when this one expires.  I can barely remember what is on my plan for tomorrow let alone 4 years from now.

Anyhow, consider this YOUR friendly reminder from the *hotline* lady... GO CHECK YOUR EXPIRATION date. NOW. You can thank me later.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I would have reckoned you to be more daring than that. I drove for 7 months once on an expired license. Figured what could go wrong? Oops. Except when I finally got around to getting it, I had to retake my driving test. Written and in car. Almost flunked the in car part.